Job Title: Dispatcher
Reports To: Communications Supervisor
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Under the direction of the Communications Supervisor, the Dispatcher is responsible for, but not limited to receiving and processing requests for medical transportation, obtaining necessary information from agencies, facilities, the public and others requesting service, system status management application, dispatching, coordinating the appropriate personnel in response to service requests, processing requests by field crews for assistance, facilitating information flow between administrative staff and field personnel, and performing necessary clerical functions. The Dispatcher promotes a positive working environment through effective communication and system status management. The Dispatcher models and acts in accordance with AMR’s values and delivers on the brand promise of responsive, reliable, and respected.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Monitor, update, and control the location and movement of field units.
- Receive incoming emergency and non-emergency calls and promptly ascertains proper levels of response; allocate resources to match dynamic system demands.
- Monitor and document response times of units.
- Investigate and report all response time exceptions.
- Answer administrative calls and respond to administrative questions, requests and dispatch medical support personnel.
- Complete and submit daily status reports as well as other reports as assigned, including response time exceptions, lost unit hours log and unusual incidents.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of company and departmental policies, operating procedures, and medical protocols.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of all Communication Center equipment including telephone, radios, computers, and the Hospital Status System.
- Input data accurately and completely into the Computer Aided Dispatch system for all requests for service.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully interrogate callers for incident location, patient and medical information, correct triage, and classification of medical complaints, and patient insurance information.
- Demonstrate efficient operations and extensive knowledge of all equipment including but not limited to communication consoles, radio system, recording system, paging system, CAD system, and Millennium system.
- Creates positive internal and external customer experiences with EMS Agencies, area hospitals, clinics, allied organizations
- Application of system status management. Follow appropriately and consistently the Status plan and make appropriate recommendations for system enhancement.
- Demonstrates a calm, professional demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events during all communications.
- Assist responding units with routing instructions to scenes when necessary, relay efficiently and accurately utilizing all map resources.
- Report failure of Communication Center equipment to the Communications Supervisor in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Attend scheduled Dispatch meeting and training sessions.
- Displays a customer comes first attitude.
- Acts with integrity, honesty, and skill to promote the departmental mission and values of AMR
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in reading and writing English.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the radio and telephone.
- Ability to function effectively in stressful situations.
- Working knowledge of Operations and Communications policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of EMS and other public safety resources available in the area.
- General knowledge of Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations that apply to EMS and Public Safety/Special Emergency Services.
- Ability to plan and organize the activities of a unit.
- Ability to record, transmit, and report information accurately.
- Ability to efficiently utilize all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to establish priorities.
- Possess good typing skills with speed and accuracy necessary to efficiently process emergency and nonemergency calls.
- Ability to understand basic computer applications.
- Following training, ability to adequately implement concepts of Emergency Medical Dispatcher.
- Must meet minimal competency scores on exams designed to measure proficiency in spelling, grammar, clerical skills, EMS knowledge, computer skills, typing, recall and other telecommunicator skills.
- Knowledge of the EMS services available in the area, their capabilities, limitation, locations and accessibility. Specifically, knowledge pertaining to first responder and other public safety response and inter-facility patient transports.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Type 35 WPM with 98% accuracy, and be familiar with data entry
- Free from color blindness.
- Hearing within normal limits.
- Demonstrate map reading skills.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Experience working with computers and data entry.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to demonstrate accurate listening skills.
- Experience with dispatching
- Experience with customer service
- Prior dispatch experience with demonstrated proficiency in medical dispatch protocols, computerized dispatch systems, radio communications, and disaster procedures.
- Ability to perform in high stress environment.
- Proven ability to learn quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills, spoken and written
- Applies problem solving framework to identify and solve problems appropriately.
- EMD Certification
- Medical Terminology Certification