Job Title: Emergency Medical Technician
Report to: Field Supervisor
Location: San Clara, CA
POSITION SUMMARY: The mission and purpose of this position is to compassionately deliver high-quality service and basic patient care in a professional, caring and cost-effective manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide patient care per clinical protocols and safety requirements.
- Lift and move patients as required to provide optimum care.
- Communicate with patient and loved ones to provide information and assurance that care is being given and to show compassion.
- Communicate with dispatcher to receive and understand call data.
- Maintains thorough familiarity with treatment protocols, response time requirements and quality assurance procedures.
- Maintains awareness of all changes in the system components and company policy.
- Document activities regarding patient care and billing completely to ensure appropriate information is available regarding each call.
- Follow policies and procedures regarding out-of-chute times and turnaround times.
- Ability to work past scheduled shift with little or no notice.
- Continuously maintain all required certifications.
- Work collaboratively and in a professional manner with all allied health and public safety personnel.
- Reports immediately to the on-duty supervisor any incident involving a negative customer and/or patient interaction.
- Develops ability to quickly and safely locate addresses through knowledge of number systems and street layouts.
- Read road maps, drive vehicles, and accurately discern street signs and address numbers.
- Operates a company vehicle in accordance with company policy and safe practices.
- Communicate verbally with patients and significant others in various environments to interview patient, family members, and bystanders.
- Converse with dispatcher and EMS providers via phone or radio as to status of patient.
- Ensures that unit remains in a state of readiness in terms of mechanical reliability, medical supply and equipment, cleanliness and appearance standards.
- Reports immediately to the Lead Paramedic any discrepancies in vehicle or equipment standards that could compromise the unit’s ability to complete a call.
- Completes all appropriate documentation as outlined in company policy.
- Reports all problems and unusual occurrences immediately to the Lead Paramedic or Supervisor.
- Maintains a professional appearance by adhering to hygiene and uniforms standards.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meets and communicates with existing customers/staff members (including skilled nursing, assisted living, and hospital facilities) on a regular basis to ensure that AMR is meeting their needs. Reports these interactions to the operations and/or account manager on a regular basis.
- Participate in community programs to maintain AMR image and establish strong community relations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to successfully pass Physical Agility Test.
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times.
- Must be able to lift, drag, hoist, and carry different types of equipment and other objects.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- 6 months of previous Ambulance experience.
- Previous experience as an emergency medical technician in a 911 EMS system preferred.
Education/Licensing/Certification Requirements (prior to date of hire):
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- State of California Drivers’ License
- State of California Ambulance Driver’s License
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate
- State of California Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification
- CPR for Healthcare Provider
- IS-100 (FEMA)
- IS-700 (FEMA)
- Standardized Emergency Management Systems (SEMS)
- Hazardous Materials First Responder (HazMat FRO)
- Santa Clara County EMS Agency Orientation (proof of attendance)
- Proof of vaccines to include: TDaP, TB testing, MMR, Hepatitis B, and Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Influenza. Titers demonstrating immunity may be substituted for the proof of vaccination. Proof of vaccines in progress will be accepted.
- H-6 DMV print out (10 year driving record; must be within three weeks of application date).