Job Location: Modesto
Job Status: PT
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Communications Supervisor, the Dispatcher is responsible for receiving and dispatching emergency and non-emergency calls to all field units staffed by Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics, Critical Care Transport RN, Wheelchair Technicians, and Fire Department resources utilizing a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes sophisticated system status management computer system which monitors, updates, and controls the location and movement of units.
- Receives incoming emergency and non-emergency calls and promptly ascertains proper levels of response, allocates resources to match dynamic system demands and input applicable information into the CAD system.
- Dispatches and maintains radio communications with wheelchair, BLS, CCT, ALS units, and Fire Department resources.
- Monitors and documents response times of units.
- Fulfill OES, CDF, and USFS work orders for out of county Strike Teams and Task Forces.
- Update National Fire Resource Center / FEMA Form 209’s online and manually.
- Utilizes and maintains professional communications skills with all employees and customers including patients, facilities and public service agencies.
- Completes and submits daily status reports regarding unusual incidents to Communications Supervisor.
- Monitors system performance and communicates system demands to field employees.
- Assists in the collection of data for patient billing purposes.
- Responsible for Adhering to all company policies and procedures.
- Periodically ride a shift on an ALS ambulance, QRV, fire engine, paramedic engine, or ladder truck.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED required. Must have minimum of 18 years of age or at least six months of prior work experience with phone and customer service duties required with at least two years of progressive experience within a high profile EMS or Fire Dispatch system preferred. CAD and data entry experience with typing speed of at least 40 wpm required. Current certificate holder of CPR for Healthcare Provider, ICS 100, ICS 200, ICS-300, NA/EMD, and NA/EFD preferred. Needs knowledge of County’s geography; must have effective oral and written communications skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience as an EMT, Paramedic, or Firefighter preferred. Experience with Intergraph Public Safety CAD system or ModuCom Radio consoles preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled in reading and writing English.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the radio and telephone.
- Ability to record, transmit, and report information accurately.
- Ability to efficiently utilize all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possess good typing skills with speed and accuracy necessary to efficiently process emergency and nonemergency calls.
- Ability to understand basic computer applications.
- Color Vision: must have the ability to distinguish and identify different colors.