The AMR Security Engineer provides tehnical assistance with the design, installation, operation, service and maintenance of a variety of multi-user information security systems such as virtual private networks, firewall rule reviews, security incident remediation efforts, assisting with third party review, etc. The position is also responsible for identifying current and emerging IT vulnerabilities, championing security standards and processes, and planning, developing and implementing IT Security remediation programs. In this role he/she will be an individual contributor, working proactively with business partners to identify security maturation opportunities. It is a forward-thinking role where the individual will be leading the way toward AMR’s IT security future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides hands-on technical consulting services to teams of technical specialist working on either integrating centralized or networked systems that will offer enhanced levles of informaiton security.
- Provide technical assistance with the initial set-up and secure depllyment of systnes that support information security including virus detection systems, firewall content filtering systems, priviledged account management, and software license / key mangement systems.
- Offers technical information security consulting services to distributed personnel who are responsible for one or more infromation security systems; these people include Network Administrators, System Administrators, and Database Administrators.
- Evaluates information system bug reports, security exploit reports, and other information security notices issued by information system vendors, government agencies, professional associations, and other organizations, and as needed, makes recommendations to internal management to take precautionary steps. E.g review notices issued through periodic reports issued by CIRT at Carnegie-Mellon University.
- Works with others that periodically run vulnerabilty identificaion software packages and related tools to immediately highlight errors in system configutations, the need for the application fixes and patches, and other security related changes.
- With the CISO’s authroization, collects, securtely stores, and utilized software that is able to decrypt encrypted files, automatically guess user passwords, or otherwise circumvent information security measures as required.
- Mantains and , as necessary, documents a collection of software that is able to trace the source of and otehrwise investigage attacks within the GMR infrastructure.
- Conducts selected tests of information security measures in acordance with specific instructions provided by the CISO. This would include penetration testing when required.
- Interprets information security policies, standards, and other requirements as they relate to a specific internal information systems, and assits with the implementation of these and other informaton security requirements.
- Redesigns and reengineers internal information handling processes so that information is appropriately protected from a wide variety of problems including unauthorized use, inappropriate modification, premature deletion and unavailability.
- Assists in the engeering of AMR security systems by evaluating network and security technologies; developing requirements for local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), virtual private networks (VPNs), routers, firewalls, and related security and network devices; designs public key infrastructures (PKIs), including use of certification authorities (CAs) and digital signatures as well as hardware and software; adhering to industry standards.
- Improves AMR security by monitoring and ensuring compliance to the latest standards, policies, and procedures; conducting incident response analyses; developing and conducting training programs.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging security practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Work with AMR’s CISO to incorporate these into the security roadmap and assist the Security Engineering function to implement them.
- Assist AMR’s Security Governance, Risk and Compliance function to perform application and data security reviews to confirm that new applications and changes to applications are compliant with AMR’s policies and standards, as well to ensure that the right security controls are applied to applications to keep data secure.
- Assist the AMR Security leadership, Enterprise Applications, Network functions to evaluate new solutions, such as key management, database monitoring, Cloud Access Security Brokers and integration with AMR’s security information event management system. Assist with the design of recommended solutions, and work with project managers and other IT engineers and/or architects during implementation.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to the AMR Security team during the full lifecycle of product evaluation, recommendation, testing, installation, rollout and support. Be the trusted champion of new security technologies.
- Collaborate with project teams and AMR’s Security and IT engineering functions in research and design phases of solutions to ensure that information security is a fundamental quality.
- Assist AMR’s Security and IT engineering functions to research new security technologies and their application to the corporate environment.
- Follow best practices on Secure SDLC (e.g., threat modeling, integrating security considerations into the testing cycle).
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be in a lead role when appropriately assigned.
- Prior Security Operations Center Experience preferred.
- Prior implementation experience of multi-factor authentication for applications
- Experience of the design and implementation of database security solutions such as encryption, Key Management Interoperability Protocol, data tokenization and masking, database firewalls and database monitoring.
- Experience with web server and web application security and remediation, and of Web Application Firewalls.
- Understanding of security controls in Microsoft Active Directory and Office 365 services.
- Understanding of security controls in Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure cloud services.
- Experience in the implementation and deployment of Privileged Account Management.
- Experience or working knowledge of penetration testing methods.
- Proven leadership abilities to partner across the organization with other teams, such as IT Engineering, Application Teams, Internal Audit, etc.
- Working knowledge of compliance frameworks and security management standards (e.g., NIST 800-53, NIST CSF, ISO 27002, COBIT, PCI DSS, HIPAA)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Security and Risk Management, Information Systems, Engineering or related major. 8 years of security related experience can be substituted.
- CISSP, CISM, GIAC, CCNA, CCENT, GSEC, or MCSA certification preferred.
- 8 years of progressive experience working in Information Technology with at least 6 of that directly in Information Security
- Minimum 4 years experience in an engineer role with experience in delivering security projects
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Security Operations Center processes.
- Knowledge of SIEM solutions such as RSA Archer, QRadar, Rsam, etc.
- ERP/ERD experience such as Cybereason, CrowdStrike or other similar products.
- Technical experience in security aspects of multiple platforms, operating systems, software, communications, LAN/WAN, wireless, VPN and network protocols in functional areas and products including, Active Directory, Cisco, Palo Alto, Microsoft Server, networking, intrusion detection, remote access, authentication, encryption, public key infrastructure (PKI), data loss prevention (DLP), anti-malware, firewalls with very good knowledge of network administrative services types and architecture (RADIUS, TACACS) and DMZ Network perimeter structure and design.
- Requires excellent analytical ability, consultative skills, strong judgment and the ability to work effectively in a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary, team environment.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities while multitasking effectively.
- An analytical demeanor and the ability to effectively communicate with individuals across all levels the organization.
- Requires strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate across various levels with the ability to influence others is critical to success.
- Proven ability to understand and develop expertise on new technologies quickly.
- Must be well organized with excellent follow up skills to meet deadlines, coordinates work of others while fostering team work and cooperation; handling multiple concurrent tasks.
American Medical Response (AMR) is the nation’s leading provider of medical transportation and community-based mobile healthcare. Every year more than 26,000 AMR paramedics, EMTs, RNs and other professionals work together to provide emergency care, non-emergency medical transportation and mobile healthcare services in communities across the country.