Proposal Team Writer / Editor I
Summary: The Writer I is an entry-level role appropriate for any new hire who does not have ambulance-specific proposal experience. Writer Is will assist Senior Writers in an apprentice-style training while being progressively tasked with their own assignments. As part of their learning, Writer Is will be responsible for developing / maintaining a content library of proposal language for the other writers to access. Curating the library will include working with company subject matter experts who will periodically review and vet the content.
Location: Pensacola, FL
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate in an apprentice role under the guidance of more experienced Writer / Editors to learn task assignments.
- Interview internal subject matter experts and write assigned sections of proposals.
- Manage assigned projects – oversee project timelines, assignments, selection and presentation of exhibits/attachments, and layout/production needs.
- Provide developmental editing for assigned projects, including editing for content, tone, consistency, and competitiveness.
- Analyze Requests for Proposals (RFPs) to determine required responses and attachments.
- Ensure that documents meet established standards for content and quality.
- Proof proposal documents.
- Coach subject matter experts on section content.
- Develop presentation-specific graphics.
- Create other sales-specific documents, such as presentations, meeting hand-outs, and related items.
- Provide samples from proposal or attachment libraries for subject matter experts.
- Develop and update style guides and other writing/interviewing tools.
- Some travel expected.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, or related field (Master’s Degree preferred)
- 2-3 years’ experience writing proposals, federal or state grant proposals, or medical/technical writing.
- Developmental editing experience.
- Preferred: Experience analyzing and responding in writing to RFPs
Knowledge and Skills:
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, deadline-intensive environment with multiple simultaneous projects.
- Strong project management skills.
- Exceptional written communication skills, including writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Ability to present complex information in a comprehensible manner (written and graphical).
- Experience interviewing others.
- Strong research skills.
- Solid teamwork skills.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to adapt to changing job environment.
- Required proficiency in PC-based Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Preferred: Ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities at all levels within an organization. Well-developed interpersonal communication skills. Knowledge of basic design/layout/graphic principles and corresponding software programs, including Windows-based Adobe PageMaker, Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Publisher.