LOCATION: Santa Rosa, CA (Sonoma County)
STATUS: Full-Time; Exempt
Under the direction of the AMR General Manager for Sonoma County, the REDCOM Executive Director serves as the primary manager of the Dispatch Services Agreement, carrying out the mission and goals established by the REDCOM Board of Directors. The Executive Director serves as the primary point of contact for the REDCOM Board of Directors, sub-committees, member organizations and allied agencies. The Executive Director will promote a positive working environment in the communication center utilizing total quality management concepts and practices, insuring incorporation of AMR and REDCOM’s mission, vision, strategies and goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage dispatch center in effective/efficient manner within policy & performance parameters established by AMR and the Board.
- Develop and propose goals, objectives and strategies for consideration by Board.
- Actively engage with the Board in strategic planning processes designed to anticipate future needs, goals and objectives.
- Implement administrative, operational and technical procedures that support Board goals, strategies and policies.
- Develop and propose preliminary and final budgets for both AMR and JPA.
- Implement financial procedures in support of Budget goals.
- Ensure compliance with laws, regulations, etc., pertaining to operation of Fire & EMS 911 PSAP
- Prepare for and facilitate Board meetings and provide research, reports, and input as requested by the Board
- Within framework of Contractor’s Human Resource Policies and Procedures, and according to job specifications and Budget approved by REDCOM, hire, discipline & terminate employees.
- Provide general supervision of Operational and Administrative staff. Interpret policy under the guidance of AMR and REDCOM JPA Legal counsel.
- Advise and confer with Board, Member agency leadership & staff.
- Coordinate the development of REDCOM operational & technical procedures with Member agency leadership, SCPSC, County Radio, SCFCA, CVEMS, etc.
- Represent AMR and REDCOM with other public agencies, media and community at large.
- Respond to issues regarding services and implement appropriate operational Policies for services provided under this Agreement.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned by AMR and the Board.
- Provide coordination and leadership for all Communication/Dispatch Operations
- Lead, motivate, and supervise all Communications Center staff
- Provide performance feedback to subordinates through positive reinforcement and quality assurance review
- Conduct annual performance review of assigned personnel.
- Mentor employees, conduct performance evaluations if applicable, counsel and provide disciplinary actions to assigned personnel with a goal of developing a team oriented approach with positive results.
- Assist in driving performance management.
- Comply with all employment laws and support affirmative action/equal opportunity and diversity goals.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- BA/BS in Public Safety Management OR related industry experience is also highly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ leadership or management experience in a 9-1-1 dispatch environment.
- Highly ethical, principled, and accountable professional who has demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in finding paths for migration to new technologies. Understanding of the complexities inherent in acquiring new technical systems.
- Experience with budget planning, preparation, forecasting and administration is preferred.
- Proven history of success and a comprehensive knowledge of public safety communication practices. Capable of making tough decisions in a timely manner when required.
- Must possess a history of progressive, proactive and innovative program development, as well as a track record of successful follow-through and implementation.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.