Job Title: Regional Director, Safety and Risk, Ground
Reports To: National Director of Safety
Department: GMR Safety
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for implementing, maintaining, and monitoring the safety and risk programs for the region. The Regional Director will develop, implement, and monitor driver training, staffing, and safety programs. Also serve as the litigation contact for company retained defense attorney firms relating to litigation regarding patient care and collision incidents. This program will consist of OSHA compliance, quarterly safety meetings, reviewing incidents and accidents, hazardous material training, MSDS and station inspections. The Regional Director is also responsible for directing and coordinating safety and risk management activities, including the development and improvement of organizational processes for creating a safe and healthy work environment where accidental losses are prevented, or their effects are minimized at a reasonable cost.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, analyze and report risks on the productivity and profitability of the organization including safety performance and regulatory compliance related to safety, health, environmental and risk management issues.
- Regularly visit operational locations and conduct ride-a-longs to observe conditions and identify needs to improve the safety of the operations.
- Active participation in management decisions regarding planning, forecasting and measuring safety and risk management performance of the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication within the organization at all levels and provide counsel to management on safety and risk management performance.
- Ensure the effective implementation, development and enhancement of the GMR Safety Management System.
- Develop and maintain process for the timely notification, filing of claims and consultation with the insurance carrier/TPA, appropriate regulatory agencies and legal counsel.
- Prepare directives advising management of GMR policy regarding safety, health and risk management.
- Write and deliver presentations to GMR management or government officials (e.g. OSHA) regarding safety, health and risk management.
- Demonstrate management style that is team oriented, proactive and customer service driven in accord with departmental team philosophy.
- Provide assistance and development support for ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001 compliance.
- Resource for Region on all safety, health, environmental and risk management matters.
- Select, train and effectively manage Safety, Health and Risk Management staff at Regional office and operational sites.
- Work closely with GMR National Director of Safety to implement and monitor corporate wide safety, health, environmental and risk management initiatives.
- Consult with GMR National Director of Safety on matters that may significantly impact GMR or Region as a whole.
- Establish and monitor systems to accurately measure safety and risk performance.
- Develop and support Region management in the implementation of safety and risk solutions to enhance operational performance.
- Develop, implement and ensure the completion of relevant safety and health training for all Region employees.
- Design and direct employee health services regarding immunizations, testing and post exposure follow-up.
- Manage subordinates in the Safety, Health and Risk Management areas. Identify staffing needs for Regional Safety and Risk Management and develop skills and knowledge of subordinates through oversight and routine communications. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these activities.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with GMR policy and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; apprising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- 25% Travel Required
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Mentor employees, conduct performance evaluations, counsel and provide disciplinary actions to assigned personnel, and works to facilitate individual and team development that drives positive results.Champion affirmative action efforts in all aspects of employment, including but not limited to staffing, training, promotion, etc. Responsible for compliance with and enforcement of company/department policies and procedures.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements (For Field Positions Only):
- Describe physical requirements in detail
- HS Diploma or GED.
- BS or equivalent practical experience
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in Occupational Safety and Health, preferred
- Minimum of four (4) years of full time (>30 hours per week) professional safety or loss control experience, including program development, implementation, compliance monitoring, training and investigation or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Commitment to obtain professional certification in safety and health as required by AMR corporate standards within one (1) year of hire (e.g. CSP, ASP, Advanced Safety Certificate, and ARM).
- Valid driver’s license with evidence of insurance.
- Minimum one (3) years experience leading people, or must complete Leadership Fundamentals training within 6 months of hire.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to get into and out of ambulance and move through hazardous scene quickly and without assistance.
- Basic computer skills.
- Well-developed management skills and budgetary responsibilities. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Risk management experience including commercial insurance policy administration and oversight of litigation.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of effective safety, health and risk management programs.