Care Coordinator (Non-Exempt)
This is an advanced level position within the Communications/Call Center at Physicians Transport Service. Physicians Transport Service provides unique solutions to healthcare systems in Northern Virginia which includes inter-facility ambulance transfers, wheelchair van services, and a variety of call center hotlines.
The Communications/Call Center team supports these services by processing and prioritizing incoming calls, coordinating ambulance responses, and operating call centers for client services. In order for the Communications/Call Center to operate effectively the Communications Specialist must be highly organized, be able to communicate effectively in person, over the telephone, radio, and other telecommunications devices. In addition, there must be a demonstrated proficiency in Communications and Call Center Operations, medical knowledge, and hospital capabilities.
- Maintain neat, well organized, safe, and healthy work environment.
- Answer, intake, and mitigate calls for service on Specialty Lines.
- Interpret patient conditions, complaints, and diagnoses in order to route the patient to the correct sub-specialty service at client facilities.
- Coordinate with physicians, nurses, and other staff to affect smooth admission processes.
- Read, review, and interpret multiple documents requesting services.
- Interact with client facility staff over the telephone to intake calls.
- Maintain multiple data bases pertinent to their service line.
- Accurately input the calls for service in a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system when required
- Accurately searches and inputs patient information into client Electronic Health Records (EHR).
- Document and report on activities throughout each shift on various spreadsheets, worksheets, and email formats.
- Notify management of problems, concerns, and compliments received in real time.
- Generates performance reports using computer software.
- Assume various shift supervisor duties during supervisor absence.
- If qualified for other positions, a candidate may be asked to fill in those roles.
- Additional duties may be assigned as needed to support operations.
- Reports to Communications Manager Dispatch
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma / GED
- Clinical experience equivalent to EMT or higher preferred
- 2 years of inbound call center or dispatch experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Operate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to sort, prioritize, and act on information received from various written and verbal sources.
- Ability to learn and adapt to computer systems and programs.
- Communicate effectively in English in both verbal and written formats.
- Handle stressful situation and create solution to mitigate the situation.
- Willingness to take on responsibly and learn new skills in a dynamic environment.
- Basic and Advanced use of Computer Aided Dispatch software.
- Basic Microsoft Suite Software specific to job function.
- Client specific software.
- Specialty Service Algorithms.
- HIPAA, Patient Privacy.
- Basic Medical Terminology.
- Continuing education as warranted.
- The Care Coordinator II will adhere to all company polices, including the Drug Free Workplace policy, conduct themselves in a respectful, professional manner, and operate with a high level of dependability as part of a team.
- Assigned to work on a rotating or fixed schedule, which will include days, night, weekends, and holidays.
- Subject to relocation prior to, or during shift to offsite communications location.
- Sit upright for long periods of time with intermittent standing breaks.
- Talk in person and on the telephone fir long periods of time.
- Operate in a noisy and sometime chaotic environment.
- Stoop, Crouch, Walk, and Stand occasionally.
- Read multiple computer monitors for long periods of time.
- Work in low-lighting conditions for long periods of time.