Job Title: Transfer Center Specialist/Dispatcher (I or Associate)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The primary job responsibilities of the Dispatcher are to receive telephone calls requesting medical assistance and/or transportation from residences, public service agencies and/or medical facilities for a major hospital system. In addition, a dispatcher will make phone calls to update, add to, inform and facilitate customers/clients. He/she shall assist in dispatching medical unit(s) to the scene in response for assistance; operate radio communication equipment to monitor field operations of EMS units and personnel, and perform other related tasks and duties as assigned by appropriate authority.
*This position is remote. Position is held in a customer based transfer center where he/she will act as a liaison between AMR Dispatch and one of our large clients/hospital system. Work closely with transfer center staff and leadership to build trusting relationships with our clients and ensure patient transportation is a seamless process that is performed in a safe, timely, and appropriate manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive and prioritizes all incoming telephone calls.
- Efficiently dispatch vehicles to emergency and non-emergency calls in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to make accurate moment to moment decision making in regard to the dispatch of emergency and non-emergency vehicles.
- Effectively triages all incoming requests for service according to the CBD (Criteria Based Dispatch) for individual counties. Training will be provided for employees.
- Obtains required information from party requesting medical transport (as set forth by communications manager).
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use paging system, Nextel's, cell phones and land lines, and all portable or mounted radios; troubleshoots problems mechanical / equipment problems and contacts lead dispatcher, communication supervisor, and communication manager as appropriate.
- Prepare and complete reports stating progress, problems and statistics for review by appropriate managers and supervisors.
- Perform basic data entry; demonstrate ability to learn new computer programs and perform some advanced data entry.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate emergency and non-emergency calls to appropriate personnel.
- Ensure that all appropriate paperwork has been completed properly; must be in order and ready for the transportation crew prior to departure.
- Coordinate and order various levels of transportation for all applicable discharges.
- Assist in the elimination of delays in order to keep patient movement a seamless process.
- Provide information regarding transportation services to physicians, nursing personnel and healthcare facilities.
- Discuss medical needs of patient regarding transportation with hospital staff.
- Ability to verify insurance type/coverage and obtain authorization for transportation as needed.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- EMS industry or Dispatch experience.
- Medical training or telecommunications experience or, have at least one year's experience in Healthcare background.
- Related experience providing dispatch and/or transportation services to hospital &/or patients.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to demonstrate strong verbal & communication skills
- Skilled in reading and writing English.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the radio and telephone.
- Ability to record, transmit, and report information accurately.
- Ability to efficiently utilize all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possess good typing skills with speed and accuracy necessary to efficiently process emergency and nonemergency calls.
- Ability to understand basic computer applications.
- Occasionally: Kneeling, stooping, bending, walking, and carrying.
- Constantly: Sitting, seeing, hearing/listening, clear speech, typing and learning.
- Works alone & with others, verbal, written & face-to-face contact with others.
- Simple writing, analyzing, simple math skills, judgment, decision-making, reading and clerical.
- Occasionally: Digital paging terminal, fax, calculator, copy machine, stapler, 3 hole punch, stamping, sharpener, switchboard, and printers.
- Constantly: Computer, email, CAD, keyboard, telephone.