Job Title: Senior Fixed Assets Accountant
Reports To: Manager of Corporate Accounting
Summary: The Senior Fixed Assets Accountant will be directly responsible for the accounting of Fixed Assets for the company. The company is a multi-billion-dollar provider of air, ground, specialty and residential fire services and managed medical transportation.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of corporate reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work within fixed asset system and monthly fixed asset processes including additions, retirements, depreciation, useful life determination, adjustments, financial reporting and additions from mergers and acquisitions.
- Execute fixed asset accounting and journal entries for all corporate and regional assets related to monthly closing procedures.
- Prepare fixed asset roll-forward schedules and related balance sheet account reconciliations and analysis including the Fixed Asset Subledger to General Ledger tie out.
- Complete monthly reporting schedules summarizing fixed asset activities at regional and consolidated levels.
- Assist the Tax Department with the preparation and filing of various tax returns requiring fixed asset data.
- Gather documentation regarding fixed assets to support the Company’s external and internal auditors to ensure audit requirements are properly met.
- Execute and monitor defined processes and internal controls focused on the integrity of systems, processes and data. This includes execution of corporate internal control process development, and compliance with SOX, including documentation, testing and remediation of critical controls.
- Support the integration of financial processes, systems, policies and resources of acquired companies and assets.
- Collaborate with other department leaders to ensure generally accepted accounting principles, corporate processes, principles and values are followed.
- Manage a staff of two professionals, providing timely feedback, support in goal setting and year-end review. Maintain and communicate clearly defined roles, responsibilities, objectives and accountability.
- Assist the Manager of Corporate Accounting with assignments and special projects as needed.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting.
- CPA preferred
- Minimum 5 years of progressive hands-on accounting experience, including work directly related to fixed asset accounting, is required.
- Experience with general ledger, close process and financial reporting
- Experience working with SOX controls
- Familiarity with producing US GAAP financial statements
Skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of US GAAP
- Strong knowledge of accounting software systems is required; Oracle ERP and Oracle fixed assets module skills highly preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Must take initiative to consistently meet deadlines coupled with the ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans and behavior when necessary.
- Motivated self-starter possessing strong organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Must be detail oriented.