The Senior Paralegal-Corporate provides support for (i) GMR’s Corporate Secretary function, including entity formation, qualification and maintenance, (ii) the Law Department’s administrative functions, including budgeting, approving outside counsel invoices and general file management and (iii) commercial and transactional matters on an as needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Corporate Secretary Matters:
- Maintain, supervise and administer corporate database for parent corporation and subsidiaries.
- Interact with domestic service companies in order to ensure that documentation is drafted, executed and timely filed, including annual report filings, qualification and withdrawal documentation, name change documentation, and interact with various Secretaries of States.
- Draft materials for parent corporation and subsidiaries (e.g. minutes, annual proxy, annual meeting materials, director and officer questionnaires and written consents).
- Draft corporate formation documents including preparation of Articles of Organization, Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Operating Agreements, Stock Certificates and Foreign Qualifications.
- Draft and maintain corporate organizational structure charts.
- Research corporate entities and obtain documents on-line or via other means from various state agencies.
- Law Department Administrative Matters:
- Assist with Law Department budget.
- Review and approve invoices and facilitate processing with the finance department.
- Assist and maintain various legal contract templates.
- Assist with drafting various legal contracts.
- Assist with maintaining databases used by the department (e.g. Legal Tracker and Onit).
- Provide information to various departments in response to requests on contracts or processes.
- Maintain receipts and file expense reports for the General Counsel.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the General Counsel
- Commercial and Transactional Matters:
- Research state and local statutes.
- Perform lien searches (Federal, State and County).
- Provide support for transactional work (e.g. due diligence, signature packets, closing checklists, closing binders).
- Education / Experience:
- Paralegal Certificate required
- HS Diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Five or more years of experience as a corporate paralegal with specific experience in the formation and management of corporate entities and related record keeping
- Prior in-house experience preferred
- Skills / Competencies:
- Strong understanding of how legal entities work, including ownership, officers and directors and subsidiary structure.
- General knowledge of corporate law
- Able to manage multiple tasks while leading various initiatives.
- Able to think beyond the immediate scope of the job and understand the larger business needs of the company.
- Strong organizational skills, extremely detail-oriented and work well under tight time constraints.
- Professional with high integrity with ability to inspire trust and confidence.
- Strong initiative and results oriented.
- Exercise proper judgment when matters should be escalated to internal counsel.
- Client and customer service focused.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Adobe Professional, DocuSign, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent presentation and teamwork skills.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Willingness to take on and master new skills/tasks as needed
- Minimal travel may be required.