Job Title: Communications Center Manager
Reports To: Director of Operations
Working under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Communications Center Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Communications Center. These responsibilities include supervising all System Status Controllers and maintaining a close working relationship with field operations, EMSA, and outside agencies.
In addition, this position is responsible for receiving requests for ambulance service via telephone and radio, determining appropriate responses via Medical Priority Dispatch, entering information into the CAD system, selecting and dispatching the appropriate unit(s) to the call, and maintaining accurate System Status Control by relocating units to post locations as designed by the System Status Plan. This position interacts with field operations internally and with those requesting ambulances externally.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrates the ability to enforce policies and procedures established for the Communications Centers
• Demonstrates the ability to evaluate employee work performance and to make recommendations as to continued employment or training needs
• Demonstrates the ability to triage a patient’s condition on the telephone and decide if a unit will respond as an emergency or non-emergency
• Follows professional radio communications techniques
• Demonstrates the ability to communicate with the general public via telephone in a professional and courteous manner
• Demonstrates a willingness and ability to follow directions
• Consistently receives emergency calls and enters them into the CAD within 60 seconds, 90% of the time
• Consistently achieves alert times within 30 seconds of call-received time, 90% of the time
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of all communications equipment to ensure intelligent reporting of equipment failures
• Demonstrates ability to apply the System Status Plan to daily operations
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of the equipment necessary to operate, maintain, and request service calls when appropriate
• Demonstrates the ability to maintain quality improvement programs
• Demonstrates the ability to develop and modify the System Status Plan as needed for efficient operations
• Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with residents, public officials, governmental entities and political leaders when necessary
Directly supervises employees in the Communications Center. Carries out supervisor responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, practices, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems. Other supervisory and administrative functions as directed.
The following list of requirements is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Requires the ability to take charge and direct personnel during stressful situations, as well as the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. This position also requires the following:
• Minimum of one (1) year experience in the field as an EMT or Paramedic, or as a dispatcher for fire, law enforcement or other EMS agency
• Current EMT or Paramedic certification and meet other company standards depending on classification level
• EMD certification or acquisition of EMD certification at the next offering of the EMD certification class.
• CPR instructor certification
• Must be able to meet the requirements of EMT or Paramedic job description depending on current certification level as recognized by EMSA
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
The ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, protocol and procedure manuals. The ability to write routine reports and correspondence. The ability to speak effectively on the telephone, radio and to employees of the organization.
The ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. The ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
• EMT or Paramedic certification required, meeting all company standards
• EMD or acquisition of EMD certification the next offering of the EMD certification class
• CPR Instructor
Other skills and abilities:
• The ability to communicate effectively with employees, as well as City and County officials, on a daily basis
There is lifting and moving of patients and/or equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste and smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Maintain physical condition to enable proper performance of assigned job functions as determined by company policy.
The work has a high stress environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The candidate will be working regularly with confidential patient and personnel information. Must have the ability to maintain composure and tact in stressful situations. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally, and through radio and telephone communications. Must possess the ability to demonstrate compassion and a sincere dedication to patient needs, concerns and information confidentiality.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
EOE including Veterans and Disabled